When I learned how to make these ultra crispy garlic parmesan wings, my life was forever changed. 🐓
Now I love a fried wing probably more than the other guy but I had always yearned for a way to make them that involved less singeing off my own skin and more “I find somewhere to sit down while I wait for them to finish”.
It would seem that the natural choice would be baked wings but I could never really get them as crispy as fried wings. Until I learned a super simple trick.
The Game Changer
Then I found the Cook’s Illustrated Meat Cookbook. It was on sale on Amazon for only $3.99 and I’m so glad I found it because inside I found the answer to both of those problems.
This cookbook is really amazing, with over 400 different meat recipes, tips and cooking techniques. I don’t even think I made it past page 10 without taking several notes and exclaiming that the cookbook was “totally worth it”. True story.
Keys to Crispy Oven Baked Wings
Let’s talk about some of the key points when it comes to making wings that are ultra crispy in the oven with ZERO flour.
- Wings need to be as dry as possible. Pat them dry with paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Coat them with baking powder. The baking powder creates a chemical reaction that causes browning and helps the wings crisp. Science!
- Be sure to add salt. Not only does salt add flavor, it helps with breaking down the proteins in the chicken’s skin. This also helps with browning.
- Start cooking at a low temperature. For the first 30 minutes your wings are in the oven they’re going to cook at 300 degrees. This renders off the fat without overcooking the meat itself. This will keep your wings from becoming tough and rubbery.
These wings are the exact opposite of tough and rubbery, they’re tender and fall apart-y. Is that a thing? Fall “apart-y”?
This method of making wings is absolute magic and really perfect for large events, like the Super Bowl or family gatherings. All you need to do is set a timer to change the temperature on the oven and you’re free to prep other appetizers or just sit down and watch the newest episode of The Grinder.
Keto baked garlic parmesan chicken wings for a group?
The portions for this recipe are easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled, depending on your needs. No crazy fractions to figure out here!
Then there’s homemade garlic parmesan wing sauce…
Garlic and Parmesan are two of my favorite flavors when it comes to pretty much anything so turning these super crispy wings into Garlic Parmesan wings was pretty much a no brainer.
The garlic parmesan wing sauce is easily adaptable, I add red pepper flakes to mine but you could totally leave them out.
Whatever you do, do not leave these wings alone unattended. They will disappear and you’ll probably get mad because you didn’t get any.Print
These garlic parmesan wings are incredibly crispy without the use of any flour of any kind. These wings are pretty hands off since they bake in the oven. Coat them in a buttery garlic Parmesan sauce.
For the Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings, cut into segments with the tips removed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- red pepper flake, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
Want to kick these up to levels unknown? After tossing in the garlic Parmesan butter sauce, put them back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, low carb, keto, gluten free