Smoky and subtly sweet turkey taco meat atop crisp greens make this low carb taco salad recipe a sure fire way to satisfy your Tex Mex cravings.
For the Meat
- 1/2 Tbs of coconut oil*
- 1 pound 93/7 or leaner ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and excess water removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 medium cloves garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Suggested Toppings for the Salad:
- Greens (iceburg, Romaine, spinach)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Beans (black, pinto)
- Red Onion
- Tortilla chips, quinoa, or brown rice
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and allow to saute until they start to become translucent.
- Add turkey meat and cook until it is no longer pink. At this point you may drain any liquid that the turkey put out but I usually don’t.
- Once turkey meat is no longer pink, add grated zucchini, spices, sugar, and ketchup. Stir to combine. Add about a ¼ cup of water or chicken stock if you have it on hand. Reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on how saucy you want your meat. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken even more after you turn off the heat.
- Serve your taco meat on top of lettuce, adding your desired toppings.
Nutrition facts listed are just for the meat! Adjust your macros according to what you add to your salad.
- Calories: 145