Smoky and subtly sweet turkey taco meat atop crisp greens make this low carb taco salad recipe a sure fire way to satisfy your Tex Mex cravings.
For the Meat
- 1/2 Tbs of coconut oil*
- 1 pound 93/7 or leaner ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and excess water removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 medium cloves garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Suggested Toppings for the Salad:
- Greens (iceburg, Romaine, spinach)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Beans (black, pinto)
- Red Onion
- Tortilla chips, quinoa, or brown rice
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and allow to saute until they start to become translucent.
- Add turkey meat and cook until it is no longer pink. At this point you may drain any liquid that the turkey put out but I usually don’t.
- Once turkey meat is no longer pink, add grated zucchini, spices, sugar, and ketchup. Stir to combine. Add about a ¼ cup of water or chicken stock if you have it on hand. Reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on how saucy you want your meat. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken even more after you turn off the heat.
- Serve your taco meat on top of lettuce, adding your desired toppings.