Cajun gumbo make with tender chicken, smoked sausage, and juicy shrimp. This gumbo recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser, perfect for game day or any time you need to feed a crowd!
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 lb Smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 lb Boneless skinless chicken, shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tbs Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 Tbs Red pepper flake
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs Hot pepper sauce
- 1 Tbs Apple cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs File powder, divided
- 10 oz Raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Place flour and butter into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, whisking constantly. Allow the flour/butter mixture to brown until it’s a medium tan color. Place mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery then sauté until the vegetables become tender.
- Add the roux you made in the first step back into the pot, stirring it in with the vegetables. Allow to cook for about 1 minute before adding crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, all of the seasonings, leaving ½ tbs of the file powder aside, the Worcestershire sauce, and the vinegar. Allow to come to a boil.
- Once your liquids come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the sausage and chicken. Allow to simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the shrimp is done.
- Remove bay leaves for easy eating and sprinkle with the remaining ½ tbs of filé powder immediately before serving.