“Low carb mozzarella sticks” sound like a myth, a dream even. I mean, how on Earth are you going to bread mozzarella sticks without bread? Does not compute.
But you can, I did, and you will.
And they will be perfect.
Well, if you saw our Low Carb “Breaded” Chicken Tender recipe, that might give you a little hint.
When I first sought out to make low carb mozzarella sticks I, of course, hit Google to see what options there might be. The first one I came across was Shaun’s recipe for mozzarella sticks.
If you’ve never heard of Shaun, aka username_dopeaf on Instagram, he’s basically a low carb guru as far as many are concerned, including myself. He’s always dropping knowledge on social media so if you’re new to low carb, give him a try. I’m not strictly low carb but I do have my moments and he’s always a favorite. 💯✨
Anywhoooo…. They sounded amazing, mozzarella cheese sticks breaded in Parmesan cheese. I mean, that’s cheese on cheese on cheese??? 😍 Is this real life? And they were absolutely amazing, gooey, cheesy, and uh…what’s the word I’m looking for? Oh, cheesy.
But I had a tiny minor eensie weensie beef with them and that was that they were some delicate little things. I mean the Parmesan cheese layer was so delicate and crispy, it was almost annoying.
Breading for Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks
So to fix this problem I went ahead and added some ground pork rinds to add some bulk to the breading mixture. This makes the outer layer more substantial, making this better for when you’re trying to grab some and make a getaway because you don’t want people to know how many you’ve had…
Or something like that.
These are THE perfect low carb mozzarella sticks. I would even go so far as to say they’re BETTER than traditional mozzarella sticks but try them for yourself and see!
Low carb mozzarella sticks that are delightfully crispy on the outside with that ooey gooey middle we all know and love.
- 6 mozzarella sticks, string cheese
- 1 3.5 oz bag of pork rinds
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 eggs
- seasoning to taste, I like italian seasoning, garlic, and parsley
- marinara for dipping
- Cut your mozzarella sticks in half and set aside. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside as well.
- Grind the pork rinds in your food processor, I use my Cuisanart Smart Stick for this. then add pork rind “breading” to a bowl along with the Parmesan cheese and desired seasonings.
- In a separate dish, whisk 2 eggs. Dip each mozzarella stick into the eggs, then into the breading mixture. Place each breaded mozzarella stick on the parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chilled mozzarella sticks from the freezer and repeating the breading procedure, dipping in the eggs and then in the pork rind “breading”. This will give you a nice sturdy coating.
- Freeze in the freezer for at least an hour. At this point you could even store them in the freezer for quick frying on a later date.
- Heat oil to 350 degree. Fry each frozen mozzarella stick for about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot with marinara sauce if desired.
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Protein: 10
Keywords: low carb, keto, appetizers, gluten free