Roasting fresh strawberries gives these roasted strawberry shortcakes a little something special compared to the traditional version.
For the Shortcakes
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup of low fat buttermilk
For the Strawberry Filling
- 2 pounds of fresh strawberries
- ½ cup of honey
- pinch of salt
- whipped cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients into a sifter and sift into a clean bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the chilled butter into the flour mixture until the pieces of butter are about the size of peas. You can also use a cheese grater, which gives you nice small pieces of butter but watch your fingers! Add the buttermilk and stir until just combined, you don’t want to overmix.
- Lightly flour your counter top and dump the dough out. Knead the dough gently, about four or five times, making sure to fold it over a few times. Folding the dough will help the shortcakes get some height when they bake.
- Pat the dough out with floured hands until it’s about ½ an inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut 8 rounds. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the 400 degree oven for 12-13 minutes, or until the tops are nice and golden. Cool on a baking rack.
- While the shortcakes are baking hull the strawberries and slice them in half. In a bowl, combine the strawberries with honey and salt.
- Once the shortcakes are done baking, pour the strawberry filling mixture onto a foil (or parchment) lined baking sheet and roast for 15-18 minutes, until the strawberries are just tender and caramelized.
- Slice your shortcakes in half and pile strawberries on the bottom half. Scoop on a dollop of whipped cream.
- Enjoy! I usually eat mine with a spoon! 😛
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 189